About Our Club
In the early days of the late 1940’s the dog enthusiasts around Saskatoon started a sporting dog club, with Springers, Setters, Cockers and Labradors, all working together to train for hunting conditions. Later they separated into their own clubs to accommodate the style of training that was required for their breed.
The Saskatoon Retriever Club was conceived! The membership consisted of Pat Randall, Martin West, Pitt Graham, Phil Ellison and Frank Sommers. They organized and held an unlicensed picnic trial in 1950, held an unsanctioned trial in 1951 and the first recognized trial in 1952. The Club has held a Recognized Field Trial every year since that date. The first National Open Stake for Retrievers and Irish Water Spaniels held in Saskatchewan was organized by the Club in 1962, as well as a National Open Stake in 1973 and 1985, with a National Amateur Open in 1993 and 2001.
In 1975 the Club purchased eighty acres of land – financing the deal with loans from the members at interest of 4% – which was all paid back. In 1985 one hundred and fifty acres was purchased and this is where the present Clubhouse stands. This land has been improved with mounds, trees, spits, islands, electrical sites for camping and a lovely clubhouse. This development is recognised as one of the best training and trialling grounds to be found in North America.
On December 14th, 2005 the Saskatoon Retriever Club purchased a quarter section of land one kilometre east and one kilometre south of the current club grounds. This quarter section is beautiful retriever training grounds and in the future may be seeded into native grasses to enhance not only retriever training but wildlife at large. This is known as the Lost River land. The club also sold what was known as the Old Club grounds (which was the original grounds) to Ducks Unlimited to enhance their projects.
If you are interested in becoming a member, download our application form here.
Saskatoon Retriever Club Constitution and Bylaws
– Download in PDF